16 - Hagar and Ishmael
I. Sarai's plan.
A. Sarai bore Abram no children - v.1
1. She had an Egyptian handmaid named Hagar.
B. Sarai offered her handmaid to Abram so she could have a child by her Abram harkened to her voice -
C. After 10 years in the land, Sarai gave Hagar to be Abram's wife - v.3
D. He went in to her and she conceived - v.4
II. The result of Sarai's plan.
A. When she conceived Sarai was despised in Hagar's eyes - v.4
B. Sarai said my wrong be on thee because when she conceived I was despised in her eyes -
C. Abram said thy maid is in thy hand, do to her as it pleaseth thee - v.6
D. When Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled from her face - v.6
III. The angel of the Lord finds Hagar.
A. The angel found her by a fountain in the wilderness in the way to Shur - v.7
B. He called her by name and asked two questions: v.8
1. Whence camest thou?
2. Whither wilt thou go?
C. Hagar said. I fled from the face of my mistress Sarai - v.8
D. He told her to return and submit under her hands - v.9
E. The angel told her three things: v.10-12
1. I will multiply your seed so that it can not be numbered.
2. You will bear a son who will be called Ishmael because The Lord hath heard thy affliction.
3. He will be a wild man whose hand will be against every man and every man will be against him and he will dwell in the presence of his brethren.
F. She called the name of the one who spoke to her: Thou God seest me - v.13
1. She said, "Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?"
G. The well was called Beer-lahai-roi - v.14
1. It was between Kadesh and Bered.
H. When Hagar had her son, Abram called him Ishmael - v.15
I. Abram was fourscore and six years old when Ishmael was born - v.16