If you were a person who was perfect, who had never sinned, then I could trust you in every thing you said and did.
1. I don't anyone who is like this, nor do you - James
2. Sinlessness is one of the unique things about Jesus.
3. He was completely righteous in all he did and said.
4. This fact of his nature has incredible implications.
I. Jesus' sinlessness is one of the great declarations found in the Bible.
A. Christ testified to His own sinlessness.
2. Even Satan had no hold on Christ, Christ was without sin - John 14:30
3. Jesus never had to ask for pardon because he never sinned. He never had to
repent of personal sins. If Christ was not sinless, then all of His claims are
4. While dying on the cross He prayed, "Father, forgive
them", but never, "Father, forgive me"
5. The challenge He flung out still remains unanswered. His sinlessness was and
is unimpeachable. Even hell could bring no accusation.
B. Christ's enemies testified to His sinlessness.
1. The Pharisees tried for three years to find fault with Jesus. They could find no sin in His life or flaw in His character. They had to sin themselves
to convict Him. They resorted to lying and perjury in order to get Him - Mark
6. Even the demons - Mark 1:24
C. Christ's followers testified to His sinlessness.
II. The necessity of Jesus' sinless nature.
A. Sinlessness allowed Christ to atone for sin.
1. Sacrifices were always required to be unblemished - Exodus 12:5
2. Sin is offensive to our God. God required a sinless offering to atone for man and He met His own
demand - Hebrews 9:14
3. Christ would have destroyed God's purposes and plan. He would have needed saved instead of being the atonement for others.
B. Sinlessness is the example man can follow and should try to follow.
1. Paul told Christians to imitate his example only as long as he imitated that of Jesus
Christ - I Corinthians
2. The perfect example of Christ inspires us to higher heights. Could we be totally satisfied in following an imperfect example?
4. The steps of Christ are our guide - I Peter
Jesus was sinless. He did not lie. Titus 1:2:
"a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time."
A. Jesus: John 10:36
"what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, I am God's Son?"
Was He a liar?
B. God: Matthew 17:5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped than, and a voice from the cloud said,
"This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"
Was God a liar?
C. Jesus: John 14:6 Jesus answered,
"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Was Jesus a liar?
D. If Jesus was sinless and he told no lies. Then we must pay attention to His claims Paul says in
"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of
All men have sinned, but Jesus was THE SINLESS SON OF GOD.
-- Don Treadway, March