A. Many have questioned or denied the miracles of Jesus.
B. The problem is they do not realize the implications of what they are saying.
I. Christ Performed Many Miracles While on Earth.
A. The Proof of His Miracles.
1. This was admitted by His disciples and friends.
3. This admitted by neutrals - John 3:1-2
B. The Variety of His Miracles
1. He healed people of disease - Matthew 8:1-4
2. He opened the eyes of blind- Matthew 9:27-31
3. He unstopped deaf ears - Mark 7:31-37
4. He unloosed dumb tongues - Mark 7:31-37
5. He caused the lame to walk -Matthew 11:5
9. He healed withered hands - Mark 3:1-5
10. He caused those stooped to stand erect - Luke 13:11-17
12. Jesus performed miracles publicly, before both friend and foe, and on many occasions. Thousands who were able to examine His miracles closely and friend and enemy alike, admitted that He perform ed them.
C. If Christ Did Not Perform Miracles.
1. His character and integrity are destroyed.
2. The New Testament is discredited.
3. We cannot, as the Modernist says, "accept the teachings of
Christ" and then deny His miracles.
II. The Purpose of Christ's Miracles.
A. To prove His being the Son of God
1. His miracles were to convince people that He was the Christ the Son of God - John 20:30-31
2. His miracles did convince many people of His Deity - John 2:23
B. To confirm the Word of God
1. Jesus combines miracles with His teaching and preaching in order to convince people that what He said came from God -
2. When the apostles went out preaching, they confirmed the word by miracles - Mark 16:20
C. To illustrate the power of Christ
1. HIS POWER OVER THE WIND AND SEA (Mark
a. What could men do in this storm? Mark 4:37
b. What did Jesus do to help? Mark 4:39-41
2. THE POWER OF JESUS OVER THE DEMON POSSESSED MAN (Mark
a. What did men do to help this demon-possessed man? Mark 5:3-4
b. What did Jesus do to help? Mark
3. THE POWER OF JESUS OVER THE AFFLICTED WOMAN (Mark
a. What could men do to help this woman? Mark 5:25-28
b. What did Jesus do to help? Mark 5:29-34
4. THE POWER OF JESUS OVER THE DEAD GIRL (Mark
a. What could man do for this dead girl? Mark 5:35-40
b. What did Jesus do to help? Mark 5:41-42
2. Life through His name - John 20:30-31
-- Don Treadway, February 2002 --