I. JESUS AND THE ADULTEROUS WOMAN.
• Jesus teaching (
• He comes from Mount of Olives to Temple (
• Early in the morning (
• Jesus and all the people (
• A woman is brought to Jesus (
• Jesus, all the people, Scribes, Pharisees and the woman (
• She was taken in the very act of adultery (
• They reminded Jesus of the Law's requirements that she be stoned (
• They demanded He pass judgment (
• They tempted Him to accuse Him (
• Jesus wrote on the ground with His finger (
• They continued to question Him (
• Jesus said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." ( v.7)
• He stooped down and wrote again ( v.8)
• -They all left beginning with the eldest (
• They were convicted by their own conscience (
• Only Jesus and the woman were left (
• Jesus asked the woman where were her accusers? Hath no man condemned her? (
• No man (
• "Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."
II. THE SECOND "I AM"; THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD.
• Jesus teaching in the treasury of the Temple and none arrested Him for His time had not yet come (
• Jesus, people, Scribes and Pharisees (
• "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." (
• The Pharisees denied His claim (
• His Heavenly origin and destination (
• His relationship with the Father (
• He did not come to judge, but if He had to His was true ( v.16)
• The Father bears witness ( v.17,18)
• Where is your father? (
• Jesus told them they did know His father (
III. THE NECESSITY OF FAITH.
• The result of their unbelief shown (
- caused them to seek him and not find Him ( v.21)
- caused them to misunderstand His teaching ( v.22,25,27)
- caused them to die in their sins ( v.24)
• When they would lift Him up (
• "I do nothing of myself" (
• The Father has not left Him alone (
• He always does the things that please the Father (
• Many believed (
IV. THE POWER OF TRUTH
• Jesus teaching (
• Jesus, Jews who believed on Him, Jews who did not believe on Him (
• "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed" (
• "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free" (
• We are Abraham's seed (
• We were never in bondage (
• We have one father, even God ( v.41)
• "Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin." (
• I know you are Abraham's seed but you seek to kill me (
• Abraham did not do that ( v.39,40)
• Therefore you have another father, the devil ( v.41,44)
• "If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me." ( v.42)
• "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." ( v.44)
• None convicted Him of sin ( v.46)
• He was telling the truth ( vv.45,46)
• They did not hear God's word therefore they were not of God ( v.47)
V. JESUS CLAIMS TO BE THE "I AM" ( vv.48-59)
• Jesus was a Samaritan and hast a devil (
• I have not a devil (
• "Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death." (
• Abraham and the prophets are dead (
• Are you greater than our father Abraham? ( v.53)
• My father, whom you say is your God, honors me (
• You do not know God, but I do and keep his sayings ( v.55)
• Abraham rejoiced to see His day (
• How could he have seen Abraham? He was not yet fifty (
• "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am." (
• They took up stones to cast at Him (
• Jesus went through them and passed by ( v.59)
8 Multiple Choice Questions
Q1. Who brought the woman taken in adultery to Jesus? (
Chief Priest and Scribes.
Scribes and Pharisees.
Elders and Pharisees.
Q2. Moses commanded in the law a woman taken in adultery should be?
Q3. Why were the Jewish leaders tempting Jesus? (
To accuse Him.
To make Him angry.
To see if He told the truth.
Q4. Who was to cast a stone at her? He who is without _____.
Q5. Jesus told the woman to _____.
Repent and sin no more.
Repent and be baptized.
Go and sin no more.
Q6. In Chapter 8, Jesus said, "I am _____.
The light of the world.
The good shepherd.
The bread of life.
Q7. In the Law, the testimony of how many men was true?
Q8. Jesus said, " If ye had known me, ye should have known _____".
Q9. Why didn't anyone lay hands on Jesus at this time?
Afraid of Roman rulers.
Feared crowds would riot.
His hour was not yet come.
Q10. Jesus said, "If ye believe not that I am he, ye shall _____".
Die in your sins.
Not see the kingdom of Heaven.
Not see the Kingdom of God.
Q11. Jesus in speaking of the Father said, "for I do always those things that
I heard from Him.
I learned of Him.
Q12. Jesus said to the believing Jews, " If ye continue in my word, then ye are my disciples indeed; and ye shall
Be called children of mine.
Know the truth.
Q13. What does the truth do?
Sets you free.
Makes you free.
Causes you to be free.
Q14. Who is the servant of sin? Whosoever _____.
Yields his body to sin.
Is of this world.
Q15. Who did Jesus say was the father of these Jews?
Q16. Jesus said the devil was a _____.
Murderer and thief.
Liar and deceiver.
Murderer and liar.
Q17. Jesus told those Jews they were not of God because they
Did not hear God's word.
Did honor God.
Did not please him.
Q18. Jesus said, "If a man keep my saying, he shall never _____"
Q19. The Jews asked Jesus if he was greater than whom?
Q20. What were the Jews going to do to Jesus?
Cast stones at Him.
Try Him for blasphemy.