THE ARMOR OF GOD
The Helmet and Sword
Purpose: To encourage us all to realize that we are in a spiritual warfare.
A. Our adversary is the Devil (Eph
B. Characteristics of the Devil:
1. He is a diligent adversary
2. He is a dangerous adversary
3. He is a deceitful adversary
C. Our warfare is not physical but spiritual
D. Our armor is not ours but God's
1. Our strength is not of ourselves but of God.
2. How effective we are depends on how well we use the weapons that He has
E. In this lesson, we will study two parts of the armor of God: the helmet and the
A. The Roman soldier's helmet:
1. Made of thick leather or brass and fitted to the soldier's head.
2. Used to protect the soldier's head from a blow by a sword, club, or battle-axe.
B. Our salvation is Jesus Christ.
1. He gave us knowledge of salvation
3. There is salvation in no other name
4. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation
C. As God's soldiers, salvation should be our hope.
1. Hope is a desire plus an expectation.
D. The hope of salvation serves as protection for us in a spiritual sense because it
serves as our motivation.
1. The hope of salvation motivates us to endure afflictions
b. These afflictions help to make us stronger
2. The hope of salvation should motivate us to:
a. Girt ourselves with truth.
(1) Study God's Word
(2) Be ready to give an answer
b. Put on the breastplate of righteousness.
(1) Righteousness is doing righteous works
(2) Salvation motivates us to do these righteous works.
c. Shod our feet with the gospel.
(1) To believing in the gospel.
(2) To obeying the gospel.
d. Take the shield of faith.
III. The Sword of the Spirit (Eph
A. The Sword of the Spirit is the Word of God.
2. The Spirit uses His Sword today.
a. It is the Holy Spirit's way of influencing us today.
B. Characteristics of this Sword.
1. Quick and powerful
2. Never goes dull.
3. Able to prick the tender heart
4. Able to cut the stubborn heart
5. It is an offensive as well as a defensive weapon.
C. The Spirit allows us to use His Sword.
1. We can use it in the offensive sense.
c. Too many times we try to use it only in the defensive sense. We
need to put our adversaries on the defense.
2. We can use it in a defensive sense.
a. To overcome temptation
b. To grow and become stronger ourselves
3. We need to know how to use the Spirit's Sword