by Ralph Price, June 2000
THE CHURCH IN PRACTICE.
The church of Christ basically has a three-fold mission today.
- We must evangelize to obey the commands of God (Mt.
- This command is no less important than any other command in the
- So, by trying to convert others, we are also saving ourselves (Eze.
- We should teach others in order to glorify God.
- This was Paulís motivation (2
- This was Peterís motivation (1
- This should be our motivation as well (Mt.
- We should teach others because we love all men and desire them to be
- Notice Paulís example (Rom.
Cor. 9:16; Phil.
- Notice Christís example (Lk.
- We canít love God without loving our fellow man (1
- We should teach others because outside of Christ there is no hope (Jn.
- We should teach others because, if we donít, someone else will.
- This does not mean that we should result to gimmicks to draw people.
The Gospel should be the drawing power (Jn.
Christians should edify, or encourage and strengthen, other
We are to bear one anotherís burdens (Gal.
We are to comfort one another (2
We should seek to edify one another even if it impinges on our rights
- We should provoke one another to good works.
- We should exhort one another by attending worship regularly.
The church is to render aid to those who are unable to provide for
If we donít help those who are in need, we do not have Scriptural
We are to love all men. Godly love is active and not in word only (1
Jn. 3:16-18). What if Godís love had been in
1:27. The fatherless and widows.
- We are to good unto all men (Gal.