I. THE DISCIPLES WERE GOING TO HAVE TROUBLES AFTER JESUS LEFT. ( vv.1-4)
1. The danger of being offended.
2. Jesus warned of trouble.
a. put out of the synagogues
3. The persecutors do not know the Father or Jesus.
4. He told them so they would know what was coming.
5. He did not tell them before because He was with them.
II. JESUS WOULD SEND THE COMFORTER. ( vv.5-7)
1. It was necessary for Him to leave.
2.He knew this would give them sorrow.
III. THE SPIRIT WILL REPROVE THE WORLD. ( vv.8-11)
1. Of sin - they believe not on Jesus.
2. Of righteousness - Jesus is going to the Father.
3. Of judgment - the prince of this world is judged.
IV. THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH WOULD GUIDE THEM. ( vv.12-15)
1. They could not receive all truth at once.
2. He would guide them into all truth.
3. He would show them things to come.
4. His instruction would come from Jesus.
V. JESUS FORETELLS HIS DEATH AND RESURRECTION. ( vv.16-22)
1. They still misunderstood His death.
2. They would weep but the world would rejoice.
3. Their sorrow would change to joy.
4. He illustrated using a woman in travail.
5. Their joy would come later.
VI. FUTURE BLESSINGS FOR THEM. ( vv.22-27)
1. They would have joy.
2. They would receive blessing by asking the Father.
a. they were to ask Jesus nothing.
b. conditions of prayer
2) ask of the Father.
3) in the name of Jesus.
3. Jesus would speak plainly.
4. They would be loved by the Father.
VII. A SUMMARY OF HIS MINISTRY. ( v.28)
1. I came forth from the Father.
2. I am come into the world.
3. I leave the world.
4. I go to the Father.
VIII. HE FORETELLS THEIR WEAKNESS. ( vv.29-32)
1. They professed faith.
2. Jesus questioned their faith.
3. He told them they would be scattered.
4. He told them some would leave Him.
IX. THE REASON FOR THESE ENCOURAGEMENTS. ( v.33)
1. They might have peace.
2. The world would give them tribulation.
3. Jesus has overcome the world.
Q1. Jesus gave these encouraging words so they would not _____. (
Be made to stumble.
Q2. He said that whoever killed them would _____. (
Think they were doing God a service.
Q3. Jesus said _____ of you would ask,"Whither goest thou?" (
Q4. Jesus said, "If I go away the comforter will come unto
Q5. The Comforter would reprove the world of _____. (
Sin, deceit and judgment.
Sin, righteousness and judgment.
Sin, righteousness and deceit.
Q6. The Spirit of Truth would do what two things. (
Guide them into all truth and shew the things to come.
Guide them into all truth and bring all things to their remembrance.
Shew them the things to come and bring all things to their remembrance.
Q7. The disciples questioned Jesus use of what phrase?. (
A little time.
A little while.
Q8. Jesus used what illustration to answer their question? (
A fig tree.
A woman in travail.
Q9. Jesus said He had used _____ to speak to them. (
Q10. Jesus said He would be _____? (