Jesus Is Informed of Lazarus' Illness.
• In verse 1, we learn that Lazarus is from Bethany and that he is sick. (v.1)
• Lazarus is the brother of Mary and Martha. (v.2)
• Mary and Martha send for Jesus. (v.3)
• Jesus says that Lazarus' sickness is not unto death but that the Son of God may be glorified.
• Jesus stays where He is for two more days. (v.6)
• Jesus tells His disciples that He plans to go to Judaea again and they remind Him that the Jews had tried to stone Him the last time He was there.
• Jesus says that Lazarus is just asleep and He is going to wake him. (v.11)
• His disciples don't realize that He is talking about death. They wonder why they have to go to Judaea if he is only asleep.
• Jesus then plainly tells them that Lazarus is dead. (v.14)
• Jesus says that He is glad Lazarus is dead that they may believe. (v.15)
• Then Thomas (which is called Didymus) said, "Lets go die with him.". (v.16)
• When Jesus arrives, Lazarus had been in the grave 4 days. (v.17)
• We are told that Bethany is about 15 furlongs from Jerusalem. (v.18)
Martha Comes To Jesus.
• Martha goes to meet Jesus as soon as she heard that He was coming but Mary stayed home. (v.20)
• Martha said that if Jesus had been there, Lazarus would not have died but she still believes that whatsoever Jesus asks, God will give Him. (vv.21,22)
• Jesus says that her brother will rise again and Martha says that she knows He will in the resurrection in the last day. (vv.23,24)
• Jesus makes three statements: (vv.25,26)
- I am the resurrection and the life.
- He who believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.
- Whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.
• Martha confesses her faith that Jesus is the Son of God. (v.27)
Mary Comes To Jesus.
• Martha tells Mary that Jesus wants to see her. (v.28)
• Mary arises quickly and goes to Jesus. (v.29)
• Jesus is still not in the town but at the place where Martha met Him. (v.30)
• The Jews who were in the house with Mary see her go and assume she is going to the grave to weep and so they follow her. (v.31)
• Mary comes to Jesus and says that if He had been there her brother would not have died. (v.32)
• Jesus sees her weeping and the other Jews weeping and is troubled. (v.33)
• Jesus asks where they laid Lazarus and they said "come and see". (v.34)
• Jesus weeps. (v.35)
• The Jews wonder why Jesus had not saved Lazarus since he had healed the blind man. (v.37)
Lazarus is Raised.
• Lazarus' grave is a cave with a stone laying upon it. (v.38)
• Jesus tells them to remove the stone and Martha reminds Him that her brother had been dead four days and surely stinks by now. (v.39)
• Jesus reminds her that if she believes she will see the glory of God. (v.40)
• They remove the stone. (v.41)
• Jesus offers a prayer thanking God for hearing Him. The prayer is for the benefit of those around Him. (vv.41,42)
• Jesus cries, "Lazarus come forth". (v.43)
• Lazarus came forth bound hand and foot with grave clothes and his face bound with a napkin. (v.44)
• Jesus tells them to "Loose him and let him go". (v.44)
• Some of the Jews now believed on Him and others went and told the Pharisees what had been done. (v.46)
Meeting Of The Pharisees.
• The Pharisees don't know what to do because Jesus is doing many miracles. (v.47)
• They fear that if they do nothing, all men will believe on Him and the Romans will take away their place and nation. (v.48)
• Caiaphas (the high priest) says that it is expedient that one man should die for the whole nation. (v.50)
• The words he spoke were true and he may not have even realized it (vv.51,52).
Jesus would die for the nation and all nations.
• From that day on, they took counsel to put Jesus to death. (v.53)
• Therefore, Jesus walks no more openly among the Jews but goes into the wilderness into a place called Ephraim. (v.54)
• The Passover is at hand and many are going to Jerusalem to purify themselves. (v.55)
• They wonder if Jesus will come. (v.56)
• The chief priests and Pharisees order that if any man knew where He was they should show it that they could take Him. (v.57)